Crypto Citizen Review: Lisk, the Blockchain app framework

Welcome all to and a new year!

Here is a link to my first article written about Lisk:

The Crypto Citizen Review is a sub series of my articles where I take a deeper look into a certain interesting company, or cryptocurrency. My thoughts are just opinions and speculation and not investment advice.

As a developer by trade, I have built many apps, from small personal projects to large scale applications. My language of choice is JavaScript. Their community which I love, is the most populous and social, and which fully embraces the open source spirit. The JavaScript community by far has created the most modules, packages, plugins and tools to extend their language.

JavaScript started out as a frontend only language, however it is the language for the web browser. You created animations with it, user interfaces, websites and apps. It has since evolved into handling the backend server side of things when NodeJS was launched in 2009.

You can also build desktop apps with Electron and develop for both iOS and Android using various frameworks such as ReactNative. It is everywhere, and practically every other developer knows at least a little bit of JavaScript. It has a framework for almost anything out there.

Discovery of Lisk

One day while stumbling through coinmarketcap, indulging in my other passion of cryptocurrencies, I noticed Lisk. Scrolling down their webpage this blurb struck me:

“Decentralized blockchain applications will be built on Lisk from the ground up in pure Javascript and take advantage of the powerful Lisk APIs. In addition, every app will run in its own sidechain to ensure that Lisk itself stays safe and scalable. Currently in development, these features will become available towards Q4 of 2017.”

Then it struck me, what I had found was the JavaScript framework for Blockchain development. I immediately downloaded their wallet joined their forums and chats. And of course, checked out their Github, which shows very active development in a lot of public repos.

They don’t use Slack like most cryptocurrency companies, but an open sourced project Rocket Chat for their general community chat, and just like a lot of pro open source teams, Gitter for dev communications :wink:

Continue reading here…